Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Upside Down Cupcakes!


Upside down Cupcakes
I have an awesome recipe for cupcakes that I love to make, for two reasons. One they don’t require frosting and two my family will loves them so they will eat them.
The no frosting is awesome because less sugar is better for me and my family. My four year old unlike my other children gets a VERY NOTICABLE sugar high that in turn makes my stress level rise and causes some weird reaction where I pull out my hair! (Not really but it does drive me crazy!) I watch what goes into this kid’s mouth because I can seriously see a difference, and this has made me aware of what our whole entire family has been eating. I want to slowly change the way we eat to something much, much better.
So that being said, here is the recipe for my upside down cupcakes, and you will love the fresh ingredients it uses. I am going to try and tweak it even more to get rid of a few other “bad” ingredients. I will be sure to let you know. Meanwhile this is a great tasty recipe that everybody will love. The no frosting will not only save you from the sugar and the dyes if you buy your frosting but it will also save you time too!

Upside down Cupcakes



Glaze at the bottom:
Combine ¼ cup orange juice (I squeezed one orange), two teaspoons of grated orange peel, 1/8 cup sugar, and ¼ cup butter melt in pan or microwave safe dish. Mix.


Double line cupcake/muffin pans with cupcake liners. I used one paper one foil. This recipe makes about 24 cupcakes. Scoop about 1-2 teaspoons of Orange glaze to the bottom of your cupcake liners, and then place about 6-7 blueberries on top of the glaze. The blueberries can be fresh or frozen.


Aunt May’s White Cake Mix:
½ cup Crisco
1 cup milk
1 ½ cups sugar
2 ½ cups flour (I used unbleached)
¼ tsp. salt
3 tsp. rounded baking powder
5 egg whites stiffly beaten

Melt ½ cup Crisco in a pan over low heat with 1 cup of milk. Melt it slow so it does not scald.
Combine 1 ½ cups sugar, 2 ½ cups flour, ¼ tsp. salt, 3 rounded tsp. of baking powder.
In a small bowl stiffly beat 5 egg whites and then combine with dry ingredients.
Add melted Crisco, and mix well.
Add to cupcake liners, fill to almost the top, because will settle some. Bake 350 for about 25 min or until toothpick comes out clean and golden brown in color.
Cool on a rack for about 5 min then flip over and cool upside down.

(If you are just making a white cake Aunt May’s recipe calls for 1 tsp. vanilla and 1 tsp. lemon that I omitted for the cupcakes.)
My family likes to eat these upside down, oh just in case that means you eat the cupcake upside down, and not eat the cupcake while standing on your head!

I made a double batch of these for my son's Valentines Party at Preschool and sent 1/2 of them to school. My Dad, two neighbors came over and had one, and I have only 1 left!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the great comments, I always appreciate them. This is a family blog, and some folks seem to forget that so I had to ad word verification to keep spam at bay and moderate all comments to remove adult content that is unwelcome on my blog. Thanks for your understanding.