Monday, April 6, 2009

Make Your Own Bathroom Cleaners

The bathroom is my least favorite place to clean and probably the one place in the house besides the kitchen that I clean daily. How can I possibly get clean if I am taking a shower in a dirty tub?

I also have a two year old MALE and a 16 year old MALE and a 40 something old MALE using the same bathroom as myself. I don't want to mention any names but there is one member of the male/female group that is much more dirty in the bathroom. It is not the FEMALES! Or at least not at my house. My two year old cannot walk into a room with out making a mess and the bathroom is his favorite place to be!

So I decided that instead of buying my cleaners I would try and make them for less. I have listed a few recipes for the bathroom cleaners below. If you have any other recipes I would love to hear about them so leave a comment.

Making your own cleaners also has an additional bonus and that is they are Eco-friendly! (most of them)


You can make your own bathroom cleaner for much less than you would by purchasing it in the stores.



Here are a few recipes to make your own bathroom cleaning supplies:



Eco-Friendly Bathroom Cleaner

Fill a spray bottle with 1/4 vinegar and the rest with water.

The vinegar inhibits mold.





Disinfectant Bathroom Cleaner:

2 Tbsp. Distilled White Vinegar
1 Tsp. Borax
1/8 cup Dawn Dish soap
1 cup Water

Pour vinegar, borax and hot water into spray bottle.
Then continue filling spray bottle with cool water.
Add dawn dishsoap last. Don't shake bottle, turn side to side to gently mix, this will avoid suds.
The vinegar acts as a disinfectant.



Daily Shower Spray

1/3 cup rubbing alcohol
1 cup water

* Mix in a spray bottle and shake. Spray on, no rinsing required.





Tile and Grout Cleaner

1/2 cup of baking soda
1/3 cup of ammonia
1/4 cup of white vinegar
7 cups of water

* Combine all the ingredients in a labeled spray bottle and shake well to mix. Spray on then wipe off with a damp sponge. Do not use with bleach.

*Source: Queen of Clean






Shower Spray Cleaner

3 cups hot water
1/2 cup Vinegar
1 TBS Dish Detergent
1 TBS Borax

* Mix together in a spray bottle, shake then spray.


Tang™ Toilet Tune-up
There are, of course, acid bowl cleaners available from grocery stores, home centers, and janitorial supply stores that will remove rust from toilets, but for an inexpensive, nontoxic way to remove rust, try this: Once a month sprinkle a layer of Tang (tm) Breakfast Drink or lemon Kool-Aid (tm) on the sides of the toilet and in the water, leave for 1 hour, brush and flush. Repeat if necessary. (For those of you who are wondering, citric acid oxidizes the rust.)

This one above I have not tried but I am actually excited to try it. I think it would be fun to use Tang in the Toilet! (Better try this one when my two year old is napping though or I might catch him drinking out of the toilet bowl. hehe :)

*Source: Queen of Clean


A tablespoon of Twenty Mule Team Borax is also a great cleaner. Look for it in the laundry additive aisle.

Removing soap scum form glass shower doors
Lemon oil or even plain mineral oil will remove soap scum quickly and easily and will help to keep it from coming back. Apply the oil with a scrubbing sponge and rub it accross the dirty shower door surface. Buff with a soft cloth or paper towels to provide a haze-free shine. The oil provides a protective coating that keeps the water beading and the soap scum from adhering. Never put oil or allow it to drip on the floor of the shower; this will prevent good traction in the shower and may cause someone to fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the great comments, I always appreciate them. This is a family blog, and some folks seem to forget that so I had to ad word verification to keep spam at bay and moderate all comments to remove adult content that is unwelcome on my blog. Thanks for your understanding.