Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Recipe to feed a crowd


Down East Whatever Bake:

I use this recipe to feed several people at breakfast or brunch. I have even used this for dinner because we like to have breakfast for dinner sometimes. The neat thing about this recipe is that it can be modified so easily so you can use whatever you have on hand. I just consider all of the different ingredients that are in an omelet or a quiche and then you see you can put just about anything in this dish.

Recipe Down East Bake:

6 to 8 oz sausage cooked and drained
1 1/2 cups of grated cheese
1 cup milk
1 1/2 tablespoons flour
salt and pepper to taste
5 eggs beaten

Pre-heat oven to 350. Grease 8 inch baking dish. Add all ingredients to bottom of baking dish except flour, milk, eggs, salt and pepper. Beat remaining ingredients and then pour into pan. Bake for about 30-40 minutes.

So here are the variations I have used:
Taco style (This version is the one shown in the picture above.)
I put a bit of taco seasoning in the eggs, cut up some corn tortillas in little triangles and used green peppers, onions, cheese, hamburger and mushrooms. ( I have added tomatoes and not the tortillas before for this one.)

Veggie Style
I used no meat but added green peppers, spinach, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes and cheese.

Ham & Mushrooms
I used Swiss cheese, ham, onions, mushrooms.

Bacon and Eggs
I used bits of bacon like three slices diced up, and some cheese.

The possibilities are endless. The cool thing about this recipe is that it is super easy and you only have to use very little of ingredients like the meat and veggies so it is great way to use up some leftovers. When I have a bunch of family members over and I have to cook breakfast for a crowd I make this with toast or bagels and it is always a hit. The best part is that it is a super cheap meal. I made this for eight people but I added two more eggs and a bit more milk and flour, but normally I can feed 5 people. My two year old will not eat eggs at all but for some reason he will eat this dish and loves it. I also have two REALLY picky step daughters and they love to eat this dish.

1 comment:

Thank you for the great comments, I always appreciate them. This is a family blog, and some folks seem to forget that so I had to ad word verification to keep spam at bay and moderate all comments to remove adult content that is unwelcome on my blog. Thanks for your understanding.