Thursday, August 25, 2011

Bankruptcy Tips from Mom




I know that there are plenty of people in this day and age that are forced to make a hard decision about bankruptcy.  I know this because not too long ago I was one of those people, right after my ex-husband and I parted ways I had to file bankruptcy.  I am here to tell you that it was a very difficult time in my life.  But once I did file I felt this tremendous weight lifted off of my shoulders.  I was so stressed at the time that once I filed bankruptcy I felt about 10,000 pounds lighter!  

The first tip I have is, don’t let this little bump in the road discourage you completely.  Times are tough and no one can foresee the future.  If I had known that my ex would take off with all of our $ 27,000 savings and take out all of the rent money we were making off of our house, I would never have purchased a home with him.  If I had known I would never see a dime of child support, EVER, I would have made a few different choices.  Sometimes you are stuck in a hard spot, when this happens you should not try to lift up the rock and just to stick your head in the sand. It happens oh well, now move on.

The second tip I have is to get a good attorney.  I don’t know about all over the country but I do know a Las Vegas Bankruptcy attorney.   You will need them.  I had never experienced bankruptcy prior to that day and so I had no idea what to do.  My attorney walked me through the entire process.   It was a blessing to have an expert lead me through such unknown territory.  

In short, once you talk to your attorney and understand everything you need to do and what bankruptcy will mean to you, take another look at your priorities and decided what is really important in your life.   Afterwards I realized that I should not have put so much of my life into credit.  If I had not been so much in debt then I might have been able to handle two payments. 

I am participating in a Bucks2Blogger campaign on behalf of Las Vegas Bankruptcy attorneys and while I was compensated for this post, the story and opinions are 100% mine. 
  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the great comments, I always appreciate them. This is a family blog, and some folks seem to forget that so I had to ad word verification to keep spam at bay and moderate all comments to remove adult content that is unwelcome on my blog. Thanks for your understanding.