Friday, September 27, 2013

Apple Sauce!

Every action has a reaction....If I go apple picking with my family I am left with an half a bushel of apples!  Typically I would make some apple sauce a HUGE batch and can several jars up to give to friends and family and to stock up my pantry for the year.  THIS year I am living in an apartment before we settle down and find a perfect house.  SO.... a quick batch of apple sauce is perfect.  Moms got to adjust!   I wanted to share with you because apple sauce is really easy to do and even the little ones can help!  (I give my son a butter knife to chop a peeled and cored apple he loves this job!)

Ingredients

3/4 cup water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
10 apples, peeled, cored and diced or cut into bite size pieces (I used Macs)
3-4 tablespoons brown sugar
2-3 teaspoons of cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt

Directions

Add water to pot and lemon juice; add cut apples and remaining ingredients stir.  Cook over med heat stirring frequently about 10-15 min.  Most of the apples will be mushy and the rest soft.  Taste and add more of the last three ingredients to taste.  (This will vary on the type of apples you use also) 
If you like your sauce smoother mash with potato masher or use a food processor on the Pulse setting for a few turns to get it just the texture you like.  I like mine home-style with a few bits and chunks. 

You can freeze this, but it will keep in fridge for several weeks.  If it lasts that long…mine never does.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the great comments, I always appreciate them. This is a family blog, and some folks seem to forget that so I had to ad word verification to keep spam at bay and moderate all comments to remove adult content that is unwelcome on my blog. Thanks for your understanding.