Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Upside Down Pizza on the Grill!







I like to make Upside Down Pizza often for my family.  One of the reasons I like to make it is because it is really frugal.  The second reason I like to make it is...THEY LOVE IT!   Even if a recipe is frugal and saves some green the food STILL has to be good, and my family HAS to eat it is or it is no longer frugal and it s is just wasteful.  So try new frugal recipes and see which one work for your family.

I typically make this recipe in the oven on 350 degrees for about 25-30 min, but it is August and it is HOT.  I don't want my house to heat up from the oven...I will loose money by paying for the air conditioner.  You can make just about anything on the grill.  If you don't have a grill you can also make this in a crock pot. And to keep your kitchen cool put the crock pot on the porch!  The crock pot will still heat up the kitchen, not as much as the oven would but just a bit more makes a difference in the amount of electricity you have to use to cool the room back off again.  I have all upstairs bedrooms and all that downstairs heat travels up the stairs and makes it miserable to sleep.

All that being said here is the Recipe for Upside Down Pizza!


Pre heat Grill to 350 degrees.  My grill cooks a bit hotter than that around 400 at the lowest setting.

Spray a 9x13 or so sized pan that is grill save (anything oven safe is really grill safe)

In a bowl mix tomato sauce with seasonings to make a pizza sauce.  I use about one 15 oz can of tomato sauce and I sprinkle a 1/2 a tsp of sugar, about 1 tsp of Italian Seasoning, about a tsp of garlic powder or on clove minced.  Sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper in there too, more pepper than salt, especially if your toppings are salted.  You can also use prepackaged pizza sauce if you want but that will change the cost of your recipe typically.

Spread the sauce in sprayed pan 

Add Toppings of your choice:

I use all left overs for my pizza or what ever toppings I happen to have in the cupboard.

Tonight I had some peperoni, a small can of Shiitake mushrooms, and some left over diced purple onions from last nights salad.

I have used a left over hamburger and crumbled it up for a beef topping, and leftover taco meat. I have browned a half pound of ground turkey and seasoned it to taste. 

I have also used fresh mushrooms, diced green peppers and red peppers and black olives.

Add 8-12  oz of Mozzarella  shredded   I like to add a little bit of cheddar with my mozzarella to give my pizza a pretty golden brown color so I mix a bit of cheddar in also. 


In a medium sized bowl whisk 2 eggs, 1 cup of milk, 1 tablespoon oil, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1 cup flour.  

pour evenly over the top of the cheese

sprinkle the top with Parmesan cheese  

Put on top rack of grill and bake 15-20 min

The grill time will depend on your grill and how evenly your grill cooks and how hot.

Let cool about 5 min before cutting and serving.  


I have a zucchini plant that is giving me some nice fresh zucchini that I sliced in half, rubbed olive oil and some Italian spices on top and grilled next to my upside down pizza and served both with my left over salad.  

If you use a crock pot cook on high for about 30 mn, but times will vary depending on the crock pot so keep an eye on it but don't open the lid to keep the heat even and to cook the crust evenly. Your crust should be golden brown and crispy around the edges.










 
http://strk.gnlinks.com/aff_c?offer_id=815&aff_id=2384


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the great comments, I always appreciate them. This is a family blog, and some folks seem to forget that so I had to ad word verification to keep spam at bay and moderate all comments to remove adult content that is unwelcome on my blog. Thanks for your understanding.