Tuesday, September 25, 2012

What to do with left over watermelon...Watermelon Sorbet

Even though the leaves are changing and fall is here we just had warm weather last weekend and I had a HUGE watermelon given to us by a friend.   I took it to my son's school and they had half of it for snack time, but then I was left with still a half of a huge melon!   Since it is just me and my five year old in the house at the moment we cannot eat all that!   I searched the internet for watermelon leftover uses and this is what I found, tried, changed and loved!

We will call it Hill Billy Watermelon Sorbet because I didn't use a ice cream maker!

Hill Billy Watermelon


Half of a large watermelon cut up and seeds removed.  (about 6 cups)
1/4 cup honey (you can use sugar)
1 tsp lime or lemon juice or sprinkle some fruit fresh over it.
1/2 tsp of salt
1/3 cup of light corn syrup


Use food processor or blender and in small batches blend watermelon chunks until smooth liquid, poor into large bowl or pitcher.

In a large sauce pan cook about two cups of the watermelon liquid and the honey over low heat stirring constantly until honey is dissolved. 
Add your lime juice and stir.  Then add the salt and the remaining watermelon liquid once mix is hot again stir in the corn syrup make sure it is dissolved.

Next pour into a 13x9 or so sized casserole dish and let cool.  Once cooled put in freezer over night.

The next day carefully cut into chunks and put back in batches into your food processor and chop on pulse until it is sorbet consistency (like Italian Ice, or a snow cone.)

Serve immediately or store in air tight container in freezer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the great comments, I always appreciate them. This is a family blog, and some folks seem to forget that so I had to ad word verification to keep spam at bay and moderate all comments to remove adult content that is unwelcome on my blog. Thanks for your understanding.