Sunday, August 18, 2013

Tis the season! Squash Casserole, Great Freezer Meal!

This is one of my favorite recipes, and right now Squash is free and ripe in your garden or fresh and cheap at the market.  Perfect time to stock up and save some time and money.  Make a few of these casseroles at a time, one for dinner and the rest in the freezer.  I love to use bread pans to freeze in.  They are also cheaper than casserole dishes and they stack nicely in the freezer.  


This Squash Casserole is super easy, and yummy!  This has a  cheesy mashed potato kind of taste so it would be a good dish to get your kids to eat more veggies!  I make this ahead of time because it freezes really well. Put into bread pans, cover the top with wax paper, wrap in plastic wrap and foil and this will stack really nicely in your freezer. 
It is a perfect side for Turkey dinner too, so I thought I would share it with you again. 

Squash Casserole

2 Lb. yellow squash cup up in chunks
1/2 Cup sour cream
1/4 Cup melted butter
1/4 -1/2 Cup onions or green onions sliced tops and bottoms (I used white onions and chives)
1/2 Tsp. salt
1/8 Tsp. pepper
1 Cup bread crumbs
1/4 Cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 Cup melted butter










Isn't it pretty! 






Cook squash in small amount of water until just tender.
Drain, mash slightly, then drain again. Combine with sour
cream, 1/4 cup butter, onions, salt and pepper. Place in
buttered 1 quart casserole dish.(I use two bread pans and make two meals out it!) Mix together bread crumbs and cheese; toss with 1/4 cup melted butter. Sprinkle this mixture
over squash. Bake in preheated 350 degrees oven for 25 minutes or
until bubbly. Serves 6.





I cooked these just before the topping turned golden brown and let them cool, wrapped them up and froze them. I took them out of the freezer and heated them at 350 degrees just until they were heated through and the tops were brown and they made a tasty side dish. I served this with pork and green beans. Tasty, yummy good. 


I put one sheet of wax paper over the top of these wrap in foil and then again in plastic wrap.  Or if I have some big baggies the bread pans slip right into those.  You could also freezer seal a meal these puppies and they will keep for even longer in your freezer.  Take it out of the freezer in the morning and have it for dinner at night.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the great comments, I always appreciate them. This is a family blog, and some folks seem to forget that so I had to ad word verification to keep spam at bay and moderate all comments to remove adult content that is unwelcome on my blog. Thanks for your understanding.